How long does it take for appendicitis to rupture?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
Hi, I went to the Dr. a few weeks ago. He thinks I have appendicitis the thing is I have no insurance till January so I cant get the ct scan done much less pay for surgery. I am trying to wait till January. I do have pain. and some more things, How long do you think I will have till they rupture or will they. thanks XXXX
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: You can not have appendicitis which last few weeks. It does not last for so long. Appendicitis is an emergency condition which should be treated with surgery, otherwise it CAN rupture. But it does not have to. Some part of appendicitis can be treated with antibiotics, some will get healed by its own. If you are lucky, it will go away without any complications. If you are not, it may rupture or create abdominal abscess. But generally the conclusion is that you do not have appendicitis right now. Lower right abdominal pain can be caused by ovarian cyst, urinary tract infection and inguinal hernia. It does not have to be appendicitis. Appendictis gives pain which can not disappear after pain killers. Nausea and vomiting, pain while walking and coughing are very characteristic. Heart rate is usually accelerated (please check your heart rate, if it is around 80 or lower, nothing wrong is happening, if it is higher than 100, you should be concerned). Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.

Follow-up: How long does it take for appendicitis to rupture? 12 minutes later
my heart rate is 100, the pain never goes away with pain killers I have tried. I do have nausea and some vomiting. I started a cough I don't have a cold or anything. I am so tired of being nausea and I don't want to eat. I am so tired I keep working out and have to keep working. I did have a pain Sat morning that I thought would never leave I just laid their till I could turn over. I try to push past the pain I have to. I don't go to the dr unless I have to.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Heart rate 100 indicates that some infection is affecting whole body. You may have also fever, sweating, shivers. It seems that you have to visit a doctor. At least abdominal ultrasound and blood work needs to be done. If the appendix has cause an abscess or ruptured, it will be visible in the ultrasound (MRI is not necessary). Please do not ignore your symptoms. Regards.

Follow-up: How long does it take for appendicitis to rupture? 28 minutes later
thank you, I have had a fever on and off for days now. I do sweat and shake some. I had some blood work done. thyroid was low and red blood cells were low to. and I cant remember the rest of it. Would it be abscess or ruptured with out me knowing the difference. I got till the first of January till I get insurance and then I can have the CT Scans done that they wanted me to do, I just hate not knowing and cant afford to know right now. Thank you for your advice and help XXXX

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 hours later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Well, in CBC white blood cells (WBC) should be elevated along with CRP level. This indicates an inflammation. It is not a good idea to wait till January. I suggest you to visit a doctor earlier if possible. Otherwise, it is hard to help you. Regards.

Follow-up: How long does it take for appendicitis to rupture? 9 minutes later
I have to wait till January, they cant do anything till I have the test, I was one of the people that got their insurance canceled because of Obama, I do appreciate your time in trying to help me. I have to go this week for blood work so I can have it for my Thyroid dr. I will look at it and see if their is any change. Again thank you

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: You are welcome. Hope you will get well soon. Regards.