How long does it take for a severe hemotoma to heal?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
This is a follow up ? from my original one on Oct.2, 2013. My ? is how long does it take for a severe hemotoma to heal? It has been 1 mos. and I still have a large knot below the knee and bruising on the leg and foot as well as numbness and pain to the knot area.
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome

Detailed Answer:
It may take up to 6 weeks,but it should subside within 2 weeks and then gradually pass in next 2-4 weeks completely.
If this doesnt happen then there could be blood clotting abnormality so check your coagulation factors.also there could be muscle rupture or bigger vein injury and you need to do ultrasound to verify this. Numbness and pain is not problem if located only around this knot but if this radiates down the leg then it can be sign of nerve injury and you should visit doctor.
Hematoma resorbtion can be facilitated by heparine gel ,cold compresses,leg elevation and resting. But as i said,if there is no any improvement yet,do blood test and ultrasound.