How long does it take Rasilez to show improvement in blood pressure ?

I just started taking Rasilez, I'm day 3 and B/P has gone slightly higher. How long before I can start to see some improvements in my B/P?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 3 hours later

Rasilez contains Aliskerin which is a oral direct renin inhibitor. Its a newer medication and used to treat hypertension.

It usually takes about 2 weeks before you can see any effect on blood pressure. If there is not much effect after 2 weeks, we either increase the dosage of medication (Maximum 300 mgs/day) or ad another category of medicine.
Also do reduce your salt intake, as excess salt can neutralize the effect of this medicine

Be reassured as of now.
Monitor your BP once every three days for next 2 weeks.
Slight variation do occur initially. This gets regularized with time.

Hope this answers your query.

Please get back if you need any further information.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: How long does it take Rasilez to show improvement in blood pressure ? 33 hours later
thank you for your answer. I noticed that what I've been taking is Rasilez only not Rasilez HCT. After researching on internet I see that HCT is a salt and water reducing agent. Because my diet is good and (I don't eat out a lot and rarely eat canned goods) I eat mostly fresh foods and never add salt on anything, Im wondering if that's why my doc but me on Rasilez only instead of Rasilez HCT. What are your thoughts about the deference between Rasilez and Rasilez HCT? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 25 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

HCT is Hydrochlorothiazide.
It a diuretic and can be added to anithypertensive agents for Rx of Blood Pressure.

However, its not necessary to be added.
If a patient's BP is well controlled with one medications, its not necessary to add HCT.

In your case, if the BP is not controlled with Rasilez alone, your doctor might consider adding another medication such as HCT

Its not essential to take HCT.

Hope this answers your query.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran