How long does fluid in inner ear take to clear up? Have insomnia and anxiety

I had flu then a viral infection then a CT scan showed I had fluid in my inner ear from a viral infection. How long does it take to clear up as I still have anxiety and insomnia mainly- I am not on any medication except sleeping tablets to help me sleep
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 1 hour later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,
Most probably you have symptoms of otitis media that in generally accompanying upper respiratory infections. In generally viral infections are self-limited ( almost 80% ) and resolve within three weeks. At this stage you may try analgesics: acetaminophen, ibuprofen , nasal decongestants like phenylephrine drops or per os tablets chlorpheniramine , but , most viral infections often complicated by secondary bacterial infections, so if will appear following signs and symptoms ( earache, hearing disturbances, sever headache, fever , any discharge from the ear ) then you need re assessment and start antibiotic therapy. In some cases the fluid can be present in the middle ear up to 3 months , then are indicated myringotomy ( aspiration of fluid from middle ear and use as therapeutical method and diagnosis ). Anxiety and insomnia frequently appear as a complication of otitis with effusion ( fluid ) and I believe once you will treat your condition insomnia will disappear. To improve your sleep your Doctor may prescribe lorazepam that have good result in anxiety and sleep disorders.
Be patient and monitor your self , in case of any complications seek ENT consultation.
I wish you good luck and speedy recovery.
Hope this helps and I have answered your query. If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,