How long does cortisone stay in the body after an injection?
User rating for this question
I am interested to know how long cortisone normally stays in the body after an injection (or, in my case, a series of three injections spaced two weeks apart). I am concerned about the negative effects of cortisone, including but not limited to, weight gain. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 4 hours later
Hi there, thanks for asking. It depends on the kind of cortisone has been injected to the body. Some medications like dexamethasone have 24 to 48 hours half life so they remain in the body for some time after2 or 3 half life. Some medications have also long acting form which can remain in the body longer. However, the time they remain in the body does not exceed 2 or 3 weeks. When it is injected for several times, it may have some side effects like change in mood and/or weight gain. Most of the time side effects are minimal with just one injection. Let me know if you have any question. I wish you a good health.
People also viewed
- Use of chymoral forte tablet in elephantiasis
- Is medrol dosepak used in the treatment of wheezing ?
- How long after cortisone shot
- How effective are cortisone injections
- Chymoral forte gum trauma
- Too much cortisone in body
- Treatment with chymoral forte in glans plaquing
- Function of chymoral forte
- Can i take microgestin fe 1 / 20 for birth control ?
- Can i take erythrocin for streptococcal pharyngitis ?
- How long does it take for cortisone to leave the body
- How long between cortisone injections
- Chymoral forte effects on periods
- I am suffering from dermatitis, can i take westcort?
- Is rocephin used in the treatment of syphilis, early?