How long does TPA stay in the body. Should I worry about side effects?

Nov 2013

how long does tpa stay in your system I was given TPA on XXXXXXX 2 2012 and just need to know if I have anything to worry about after 3 months with the side effects.
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 minutes later
Thank you very much for contacting Healthcare Magic.
tpa (tissue plasminogen activator, Alteplase) has a plasma half life of 5-6 minutes and is rapidly eliminated from the body. Any side effects due to tpa, if at all, should occur within 24 hours. I note that you received tpa in XXXXXXX (about three months ago); so, there is no need to worry regarding side effects now.
The common adverse effects are bleeding in the brain or any other site of body and occasional allergic reactions. Overall, tpa is a very safe and effective drug in acute brain stroke.
Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurologist) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad