How long does Pityriasis Rosea taken to be treated?

Dermatologist
Question
I went to the doctors and they say I have Pitysiris Rosea . I have had this for almost 2 years now. Will this ever go away
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pityriasis Rosea for 2 years Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to healthcare magic, Pityriasis Rosea is a self limiting disease which usually lasts for 1-2 months. This condition lasting for 2 years is very rare. Sometimes some medicines can cause it and if these medicines are continued then it is possible. It usually goes away if it is Pityriasis Rosea. You have a feature to upload the images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can assess the rash. You can also send the image as attachment to YYYY@YYYY , with the subject as 'Attn: Dr. Johny Chacko'. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any clarifications I will be happy to help. Take care.

Follow-up: How long does Pityriasis Rosea taken to be treated? 6 minutes later
Im not taking any medication at this time. I have looked at a lot of pictures of this and looks very close. could it be something else

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, it could be something else. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome back. There are a lot of skin conditions which can look like pityriasis rosea. Seborrheic Dermatitis, Secondary Syphilis, Tinea Corporis, Annular erythemas, Lichen Planus, Nummular eczema, Parapsoriasis, Pityriasis Lichenoides, Pityriasis Rubra Pilaris, Guttate Psoriasis are some examples. Skin biopsy can be done to confirm or rule out the other conditions. If you have any clarifications I will be happy to help. Take care.

Follow-up: How long does Pityriasis Rosea taken to be treated? 5 minutes later
do the types you listed last this long? I notice the rash getting worst after a hot tub or hot shower

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, these can last this long. Detailed Answer: Hello, Yes. The conditions listed are chronic and can last this long. Nummular eczema can become worse after a hot water bath. Hope this helped, Take care.