How long does Percocet and Vicodin remain in the system?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
I have been on pain meds for three years because on a back fusion and two hip surgeries, getting reading to go in to go in for another hip surgery. This time the wants me 5 days pain med free. This has sent me into withdrawal. How long does it take a half of a Percocet of Vicodin to not show in urine. They are taking a urine test Tuesday. What if I took a half of a Vicodin this morning.
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: More than four days. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! Unfortunately both Percocet and Vicodin can be detected in urine for 2 to 4 days after last dose. So you are likely to test positive on Tuesday if you take half tab today. Medicines like Vicodin and Percocet contain paracetamol in addition to the opioid analgesic. Please call your doctor and ask if you are supposed to be off paracetamol as well before the surgery. If not, then you can take paracetamol for pain relief. It will also ease the muscle aches seen in opioid withdrawal. Take lots of water. Hope you get well soon. Please feel free to ask if you need any clarifications. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry