How long does IDRV vaccine provide protection?

Excellent

Question
I had an IDRV vaccin last year post exposure(bat bite) , 0.1ml at both hands 0,3,7,28 days Let me know howlong I am protected. Can this protect for other animals bit also?
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Booster dose will be required. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. You have mentioned that you have taken complete post exposure prophylaxis of IDRV(Intradermal Rabies Vaccine). It has given immunity for life long but not complete. Next time if you have been exposed to animal bite like dog or bat only two booster dose will be needed on days 0 and 3 with 0.1 ml at one site only. Yes IDRV protect from rabies from other animals too. High risk animals causing rabies are dogs, cats, bats, monkeys, foxes, skunks, cattle, wolves, coyotes, raccoons, mongooses. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: How long does IDRV vaccine provide protection? 18 minutes later
Do booster dose need if it is a nonbite exposure or not sure if the animal is sick ? Actually there no bite rexposure. Due to anxiaty, when animal comes near me I doubt if it touched me like that. Thank You

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: exposure means bite or scratch Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the follow-up. Bite or scratch from animal is considered as exposure. If there is no damage to skin there is no need for booster dose. There is no need to worry. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.

Follow-up: How long does IDRV vaccine provide protection? 17 minutes later
Thank you. Let me ask one more clarification. What is considerd as damage to skin. Cut in skin or redness is also considered as damage. I heared somewhere if saliva contact with wound , it will cause infection. What kind of cut( how fresh or old, depth of cut) can cuase infection. Thank you

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Break in continuity of skin Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the follow-up again. Answers to your queries: Any break in the continuity of skin is a damage to skin. Whether it is a cut or wound or any ulcer. Redness or swelling over skin is also considered as risk factor, and it cannot be neglected in case of rabies, even if chances are minimal. Yes, contact of saliva of affected animal over the wound can cause infection. Any kind of cut fresh or old and of any depth can lead to infection. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.