How long do liver enzyme levels take to return to normal?

Recently diagnosed with fatty liver with area of fat sparing seen in both lobes. One month back ultrasound also showed hepatomegaly. Then, sgpt was 77, sgot 46. Current ultrasound shows no hepatomegaly, however sgpt is 88, sgot45. Also had high cholestrol one month back, now is normal. Is focal fatty sparing normal, have not taken any drugs for cholestrol, just rigid diet control with almost no liquor. When can I expect sgpt to return to normal? I am more worried about the focal fatty sparing. The ultrasound 3 months ago had discovered the same in the right lobe. But, last week, a rounded hypoechoic area was also seen on the left lobe.
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. I went through your post on focal fatty sparing. It is a benign phenomenon and occurs in certain specific areas of liver. There is no need to worry about it. This may mimic a focal mass lesion. Since you are very apprehensive about the lesions, I would advise you to undergo a triphasic CT scan to rule out serious issues like malignancy. The enzyme levels should return to normal within a month or two after controlling/treating the risk factors. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow-up: How long do liver enzyme levels take to return to normal? 44 minutes later
I really don't know if it can be a lesion it is approx 2.5 cm x 10 cm long with well defined smooth margin in segment 5 & 6. Also, I had a few voverans for mild back ache around 5 days prior to my last blood test. Do these increase sgpt? Also hepatomegaly is now gone. My worry stems from the new hypoechoic area in the left lobe. The radiologist also said that it could be liver abscess (I have no symptoms like fever etc), or infarction. I have been told that a CT scan is not necessary right now by my doc, seeing the three previous US reports and my last blood tests. Also, today eve, after playing (approx 1.5hrs) of squash, I have started having minor pain on my right side about where the ribcage ends. Given my liver history, I am worried. The pain is not constant, just comes as a short jab at regular intervals of 40 secs to a min. It doesn't hurt much, just uncomfortable. Advise please
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 45 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi, Detailed Answer: I think I would still stick to my previous advice. Since your are complaining of right side pain under the rib cage, I suggest you to get this reviewed by your Gastroenterologist. If he still feel it can be waited you can. However my opinion is to get the CT Scan and review it. Definitely a clinical examination has an edge than an online opinion.
Follow-up: How long do liver enzyme levels take to return to normal? 59 minutes later
Sorry Dr, I think that was a muscular pain as it happened only that one tme after prolonged play and was gone by morning. I will be meeting the radiologist tomm with imagery of my first US. So far i have met a med specialist and not a gastroenterologist. Would you suggest i meet one. Also i have temp stopped drinking. What would you advise regardng social drinking/ mild consumption on weekends after liver enzymes stabilize. Why i saw a Dr in the first place had nothing to do with the liver. It was a strange feeling (no pain) on my lower left abdomen, sometmes extendng to the groin. That feeling on the left has more or less gone but has appeared on the right (very low down, near the pelvis). Also there is a mild back ache which seems to be coming and going. For eg after 30 mins of play when the body's warmed up, it's negligible. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 days later
Brief Answer: Answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes, consulting a medical gastroenterologist is a better option. After the liver enzymes return to baseline levels, you can go for social drinking once in a week or ten days. If the pain in the lower abdomen is negligible, you can ignore it. This again can be muscular pain as you have mentioned it occurs after 30 minutes of play. If it is not tolerable you can consider taking Dolo 650 and consult your doctor. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini