How long can residual cough remain after acute bronchitis for two week period?

If I had acute bronchitis for a two week period how long can a residual cough remain. The main bronchitis appears to be gone after using antibiotics and lung X-ray was clear.
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Upto 2 weeks Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through the query, I would like to comment the following: 1. Acute bronchitis normally responds in 2 to 3 weeks. 2. The residual cough is sometimes due to the associated airway hyperresponsiveness and require pulmonary function test for diagnosis. The cough responds to inhalers if due to airway hyperresponsiveness. The residual cough should be symptomatically relieved within 2 weeks of antibiotic course. 3. In such situations clinical evaluation by a Pulmonologist is helpful. Please get a Pulmonologist evaluation if no symptomatic relief. I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. Regards Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra MBBS MD DNB Consultant Pulmonologist