How long can eating beets continue to cause extremely darkish red stools?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Under normal circumstances ----How long can eating beets continue to cause extremely darkish red stools remain from eatng beets and the stool even appears to be Oozing or leeking red? Thank you..
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
The change in color of stools after eating beets might persist for over a week. You can stop eating the beets and if the discoloration persists for more than 10 days then you need to consult your surgeon for a detailed evaluation and colonoscopy to detect any intestinal lesions.
The stool can ooze a red colored fluid after eating beets. Please do not worry.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.