How long can a grey substance, possibly a parasite, discharged with urine be stored for analysis ?

My three year old son uses the potty. I noticed a linguini-like, grey substance floating in urine. It is about 15 cm long, 5 mm wide and 1mm thick. Could it be part of a parasite? I have removed the sample and put it in water. Our clinics will be closed for two days. Could it preserve long enough to be analyzed?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later

The substance you have noticed in your son's urine from the description it most likely seems to be a parasite like tapeworm. It can be well preserved for the examination in water for 2-3 days- good enough for a microbiologist to recognize the parasite.

The parasite is more likely to come from his stool rather than urine. Along with that you can get his stool sample examined for ova and cysts of various parasites so that the treatment can be given according to the report.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.
Follow-up: How long can a grey substance, possibly a parasite, discharged with urine be stored for analysis ? 11 hours later
Thank you for your answer. Do you anticipate a physical exam for our son our could we simply explain the situation without him? I knowpinworms are highly contagious, what about tapeworms? I have ulcerative colitis and wouldn't want to risk bowel problems. Will I need ro be tested as well? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 54 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Worm infestation is something which is transmitted through unhygienic food or habits. It is not transmitted from the parents. So you need to get the stool examination done. It will be best if you get him examined from his doctor also so that other associated problems like anemia can also be ruled out and proper treatment can be started soon. There is no need to take him along to the laboratory.

Sincerely hope it will help.

Wishing your son an early recovery.