How long can Amitriptyline be detected in the system and how would a doctor detect it?

I have stopped taking amitriptyline about 10 weeks ago, but how long can it be detected in my system and how would a medical practioner detect it
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 5 hours later

Important aspects of your query are:
•     48 year old female.
•     Known case of Chronic back pain.
•     History of Amitriptyline use 10 weeks back.
•     Concern related to Amitriptyline detection in blood.

Amitriptyline is a tricyclic group anti depressant. It is used for chronic pain disorder and depression. Its level in body is done by blood testing specially to maintain adequate serum level of drug.

It is primarily metabolised by liver and excreted through kidney. Its half in body is 10–50 hours, with an average of 15 hours. It is washed away from body in 1-2 week of stoppage.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.