How likely will my husband get lung cancer after excessive smoking for a long period?

Pulmonologist
Question
How likely will my husband get lung cancer? He smoked 1-2 packs of cigarettes a day for 39 years, and stopped smoking 2 years ago.
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Lung Cancer

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: He is at an increased risk of lung cancer. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following: 1. Smoking is a definitive risk factor for lung cancer. Your husband has a smoking index of 1560, which is very high risk for malignancy. 2. Statistically, Men who smoke are 23 times more likely to develop lung cancer. 3. Apart from lung cancer, he is also at a high risk of COPD. 4. Smoking leads to an increased rate of decline of lung functions, which does not return to normal, even after smoking cessation, however it is very important to continue smoking cessation for your husband. I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. Regards Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra MBBS MD DNB Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: How likely will my husband get lung cancer after excessive smoking for a long period? 24 hours later
If lung cancer is found early, can it be treated or cured?

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the follow up. Yes, early stage lung cancer is curable. You need to visit a Pulmonologist for a baseline evaluation and also keep a regular follow up with your doctor to detect any such adverse possibility in the future. I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. Regards Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra MBBS MD DNB Consultant Pulmonologis