How is vitiligo treated ?

I notice a light brown patch on my left shoulder about a month ago. I was on vacation when I notice it. I hardly expose to the sun except during when I was on vacation. I'm not sure if this is skin damage or sunburn that has not healed. I don't know how long it's been there. It's been a month and the light brown patch is still there. However, there's no changes or irritation either. What can this be? Please advised.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later

A light colored skin patch without any itching, burning or irritation is most likely to be due to decreased pigment synthesis by melanocytes in that area.

Your symptoms are most commonly seen in something called Vitiligo. However an examination by dermatologist will help in confirmation of diagnosis.

Vitiligo is pigmentary disorder in which melanocytes die as a result of multiple causes.
The condition is treatable.

Visit a dermatologist who can suggest you proper treatment.

Treatment options are Oral and topical Steroids, Immuno modulatory drugs, Phototherapy and Photochemotherapy and Surgery .

Phototherapy especially Targeted Phototherapy is extremely effective and safe.

Discuss with your doctor.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Wishing you good health