How is viral diarrhea and its symptoms treated ?

Dear Doctor,

I am a 70 year old white male in good health until yesterday. My symptoms are:

Very HARD heartbeat (not fast, just hard), Light headed, very weak, diarrhea (10 times since yesterday), no fever, never smoked, & very nauseous but I haven't vomited yet. It is almost like when I had the Noro Virus 3 years ago.

My vitals are: 110/60, 68 resting pulse, 5' 11" height, 160 weight.

Thank you doctor,
Bill in Michigan.

Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The excessive diarrhea that you are having is the main reason of rest of your symptoms like palpitation, light headedness, weakness and nausea.
A change in dietary habits or intake of contaminated food may cause stomach upset which is causing the frequent passing of watery stools.
1. You can start by eating soft, bland food: toast, bananas, crackers, plain rice, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, baked chicken ~ no skin, etc.
2.Replace lost fluid and salts:Take broth, soup, fruit juices, soft fruits, or vegetables. Electrolyte XXXXXXX energy drinks will help you further.
3.Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Cold drinks - stick to warm tea or water as long as symptoms persist, Raw fruits and vegetables, fried & greasy food and fast food, spicy food, caffeine,etc.
If the symptoms are not relieved , medical treatment might be needed after proper examination.
Medicines such as loperamide (Imodium) and bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol) can help relieve symptoms which are easily available over the counter.
Such diarrheas are usually viral in origin and are self limiting- showing response in 3-4 days.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.