Ask a Urologist   »  

How is urinary tract infection treated during pregnancy ?

Question
Hi, my wife is having crystals (+), albumin (+) and pus cells 6 - 8 in her urine post pregnancy. Is it a urine infection or a kidney damage?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 26 minutes later
Hi Jaspreet!,

It seems that your wife has URINARY TRACT INFECTION. Normally in Kidney Damage we expect casts to be present too on a urine test.

Could you give me some more information. It would help me to be more sure of the diagnosis:
1. How long ago did she deliver?
2. Is she feeding the child?
3. Has she started her regular periods after the delivery?
4. Was it a normal delivery or Caesarean Section?
5. What sort of anaesthesia was used if it was Caesarean Section? - Spinal or General?

All the above questions are relevant for suggesting the possible diagnosis.

A very scientific alternative would be to go for Urine (Culture and Sensitivity) along with Ultrasonography of Kidneys, Ureter and Bladder to be sure of the diagnosis.

You may also repeat the Urine (Routine & Micro) test after 3 days and post the results.

Waiting for your follow-up,

Follow-up: How is urinary tract infection treated during pregnancy ? 8 hours later
Thanks for your reply Dr. XXXXXXX

Cast is NIL in the report. Below mentioned are the replies for the queries you asked.

1. She delivered the baby 11 days ago.
2. Yes, she is feeding with mild pain in the nipples.
3. Yes, she is having regular periods after delivery. RCB is also showing in her urine.
4. It was Caesarean Section delivery.
5. She was given a Spinal Anaesthesia.

Please let me have your thoughts.

Jaspreet

Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 31 hours later
Hi! Jaspreet,
How is your wife now? I hope she is alright.
I have gone through your replies and would like to suggest you the following:

Waiting for your follow-up,