Ask a Urologist   »  

How is urethritis treated ?

im a 41yr old male.. i have a discomfort/burning feeling in my urethra (front part) what could cause it ? this started about 2 weeks abo
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Thanks for your query,

Burning sensation in the urethra is a typical symptom in infections of the same.You probably are suffering from mild form of urethritis.Generally the burning urination will be associated with high fever and chills,head ache, joint pains etc.

I would suggest you to go for a Culture and sensitivity test on urine .This will determine the specific bacteria causing the infection and also determines better antibiotic to be used for.

Do drink lots of water , it helps in washing out the infection.Also take Cranberry juice it helps in preventing worsening of the infection any more and also give symptomatic relief.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.