How is umbilical hernia treated ?

ENT Specialist
i have a hernia about the size of a long grape to the left and about 1/2 inch above my navel. It has developed over the last month and a half. I do have belly fat, and I am 6ft 260 lbs. Can diet and exercise reduce the effect of the hernia by reducing belly fat?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later

Well, from your history it is clear that hernia is of small size and is just above the naval. This type of hernia is known as Umbilical hernia. I guess we are speaking about the same type of hernia.

Strengthening of abdominal muscles has definite impact on the umbilical hernia the extent of its effect is not known. Similarly the defined strategies for loss of weight may help.

Now, let me tell you briefly about this condition.

Umbilical hernia in adults is most commonly caused due to some abdominal weakness or due to some opening in stomach walls. Such openings may cause your abdominal contents to flow out of your abdomen which results in intensive pain.

It is very essential to get this hernia treated in time in order to avoid such complications and discomfort in your stomach. There are certain symptoms that you may notice to detect umbilical hernia–

1.You may have complicated pain in lower half of your abdomen.
2.This pain may be very severe.
3.It can cause nausea or vomiting and can even cause headaches.

Treatment Protocol-

If this hernia is detected in you then you should get it operated as soon as possible. Operation will help you to get rid of discomfort and pain which is caused due to this disorder. Although it is not necessary that every person who is having such problem should get operated. If this type of disorder is not causing any pain in your body and your are not having any other problem in your body due to this. Then you should not go for getting it operated.

Other non-surgical measures-

1. Restrict fatty diets.
2. Take fiber XXXXXXX foods, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, seasonal fruits.
3. Drink plenty of fluids to maintain hydration.
4. Exercise only after consulting a physiotherapist because it may aggravate the condition.
5. Get your lipid profile done and if it comes out to be raised then under the guidance of a physician you may take statin group of drugs which will help you to reduce the lipid and cholesterol from body.
6. Take regular vitamin and mineral supplementation.

All these measures will certainly help you to reduce the belly fat and subsequently the symptoms related to umbilical hernia and may prolong the need for surgery.

As you are on anti-hypertensive, there is no interaction of statin with lisinopril.
Do not worry, you will be alright. Just follow the above measures.