How is ulcer bleeding stopped during pregnancy ?

General Surgeon
I am a 35 year old, 5'7' female. I am currently 6 and a half weeks pregnant. I have had issues with esphogitis and gerd in the past along with ulcer. I was on Nexium and Zantac for this. When I found out I was pregnant, I was told to stop the Nexium but continue the Zantac. The other morning, I vomitted and brown specs were present. I have been having abdominal pain which my OB said was normal due to hormones. Now this morning, they are present but not as bad. And the bile was orange then brown. I am very afraid and any help would be appreciated. My OB ordered me Zofrain. But my main concern is of course the baby, but the bleeding of the ulcer. Will it stop?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Peptic Ulcer
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 52 minutes later

Nexium (a proton pump inhibitor ) and Zantac (H2 Blocker) are useful drugs for the treatment of esophagitis with gastroesophageal reflux disease along with ulcer.

You are currently 6 weeks pregnant. Nexium and Zantac both are both supposed to be safe during pregnancy. But as your gynecologist has advised you to stop Nexium and continue with Zantac . you should follow his/her advice religiously.

Nausea & vomiting are quite common during early pregnancy due to hormonal changes in the body.

I can understand the brown specks in vomiting with little abdominal pain is bothering you. These symptoms disappear in majority of cases in due course of time as pregnancy advances.

Zofran is safe in pregnancy & approved by FDA. Studies have not demonstrated any ill effect on unborn baby.

No doubt, you may have to take extra precautions and efforts during pregnancy, but there is not much to worry.

If bleeding from ulcer persists or increases, I encourage you to take opinion from a gastroenterologist. It will be helpful.

Currently, I find your gynec advice as good. Continue with it.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries,

“Wish you healthy pregnancy and good recovery”

Follow-up: How is ulcer bleeding stopped during pregnancy ? 4 hours later
I did go to a GI doctor. He advised me to take 300 mg of zantac in the morning and another 300 mg at night. My main concern is still this bleeding. Will it stop? The GI didn't seem concerned. He said if it turns red like fresh blood then theres a problem. How do I avoid it coming to that?
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 9 hours later
Nice to hear from you again

Zantac 300 twice is safe and it can be taken easily.

You can do the following to minimize your discomfort.
1.Drink less than you normally would during mealtime. Large amounts of liquid will cause your stomach to distend.
2.Take small frequent meals.Eat at least two or three hours before you go to bed.
3.When you sleep, elevate your head and/or your upper body. This will help prevent stomach acid from flowing back up into the esophagus.

There are some things you can avoid like ;
Tomatoes and Related Sauces (Pizza, Spaghetti, etc.)Ketchup,Mustard,Horseradish,Salad Dressings,Vinegar, Fried Foods, Caffeine, Coffee and Tea .Chocolate,Citrus Juices/Foods,
Products flavored with peppermint (candy, cocoa, etc.)Processed Meats, Alcohol and Tobacco .
Food should be free from all kind of spicy & fried .

During the third trimester, any antacid that contains magnesium should be avoided because they have been known to interfere with contraction
Good dietician can plan dietary chart ,which will also help in reducing gastric reflux & bleeding

In my opinion bleeding should stop as the pregnancy advances.

You and your doctor can try their best to avoid such complication, no doubt extra effort is required.
Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction. Wish you speedy complete recovery at the earliest.