How is tumor removed for a person with pancreatic cancer ?

I was diagnosed with Pancreatic stage 1or 2 cancer seven weeks ago. I have been undergoing 5FU chemo treatments 24x7 coupled with the radiation. I want to get to M.D. XXXXXXX to look at the possibility of removing the tumor. My question is; should I go ahead with the second round of chemo ( infusion and oral) before I have the second CAT Scan? If they can remove the tumor would subjecting my body to more chemo make any sense?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 39 minutes later

In the case of pancreatic tumor, chemotherapy is given in addition to surgery and is not a substitute of surgery.

Pancreas is a retroperitoneal structure and lies over our main blood vessels- Aorta and Inferior vena cava. This tumor has a high possibility of damaging the vital organs if it spreads. Surgery ensures the main mass of tumor is removed and chemotherapy helps in preventing the further spread of any leftover cancerous cells to other parts of the body.

My advise is do not even think of skipping the chemotherapy cycle even if you are going for surgery and there are good chances of complete removal of the tumor.

You can discuss the same with your treating physician also.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.