How is tinea pedis between legs and stomach persistent for 2 years treated ?

Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

From the description provided by you, I feel that you might be suffering with Tinea Corporis infection.

Tinea Corporis is a skin infection due to Fungi. It is also called ringworm of the body. This condition can be treated easily; but has chances of recurrence specially in damp and heavy moisture conditions.

Here are some tips to help avoid the recurrence:

1. Keep the skin clean and dry.
2. Use an antifungal Cream containing - Miconazole, Clotrimazole, Ketoconazole, Terbenifine, or Oxiconazole. These are very effective in controlling ringworm.
3. Wash and dry the area first.
4. Apply the cream, beginning just outside the area of the rash and moving toward the center. Be sure to wash and dry your hands afterward.
5. Use the cream twice a day for 7 to 10 days.
6. Do not use a bandage over ringworm.

To prevent the infection from spreading:

1. Wash all towels in warm, soapy water and then dry them.
2. Use a new towel and wash cloth every time.
3. Clean sinks, bathtubs, and bathroom floors well after using.
4. Wear clean clothes every day and do not share clothes

This condition usually responds to topical medications mentioned above within 4 weeks. Severe or resistant cases usually respond quickly to antifungal medicines taken orally, which may need your doctor's prescription.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: How is tinea pedis between legs and stomach persistent for 2 years treated ? 21 hours later
Hi Doc... Thank you for fast response.In past I was using cream.. quariderm and also had pills for two week called zimig(cipla) this was helpful to me for a time period but its again comes... I also use ranbaxy dusting anti fungal powder to cure this. but still not satisfied with these medicine...I will appreciate if you can suggest me some pills, creams and powder to stop this cruel etching(on my fungal area which secrets water after etching & also have some tinny water balls on it) on my thighs and stomach..May be in past I was careless for my treatment so its repeating again and again.. but this time for sure I will be follow instruction & medicine timely ... waiting to hear you.. Regards-Kishor
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
You need to have both oral antifungals and topical ointments for complete cure and poor hygiene can cause the relapse again in rainy season even if you have taken complete treatment earlier.
Since I haven’t physically examined you, it is inappropriate and unethical to
prescribe you scheduled drugs. I am bound by the rules of law to not to give any online prescriptions. Hence you will have to see the physician for the medicines that you require.
Wishing you an early recovery.