How is tachycardia controlled ?

Hi! ever since yesterday around 12 pm, My heart has been beat really fast, I haven't been able to concentrate, if i am trying to talk to someone I run out of breath and I feel like something really bad is going to happen. I went to bed last night and woke up this morning feeling the same way.. HELP
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

You seem to having tachycardia (the medical term used for a rapid heart rate).

Taken when at rest, a normal adult's heart rate can be anywhere from 60 to 100 beats per minute. Anything over 100 is technically defined as a tachycardia.

Tachycardia at rest can be found in anxiety, stress, nervousness, panic attack, after a large meal, exercise, high or low BP, paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia, heart disorders, hyperthyroidism and anemia.

Hence, you'll need to consult your physician and get some investigations done to look for the cause of tachycardia.

Some of the tests which can help in the same are getting the blood pressure assessed, thyroid hormone profile, hemoglobin, EKG, holter monitoring (24 hour EKG recording).

The treatment will depend upon the underlying cause. Hope this answers your query. if you have additional questions or follow up queries, then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I'll be happy to answer your queries.