How is swollen uvula treated ?

i had a swollen uvula about 1 and 1/2 weeks ago (it went away later that day with no intervention) but i woke up this morning with swelling and soreness to my frenulum. I do smoke but i do not drink or do drugs. i do take a sleeping pill at night (trazadone). could both be caused by snoring or possibly an underlying XXXXXXX an undiagnosed sleep disorder? can this get worse while i'm sleeping hindering my breathing? i dont know if this is related or not...but i've been pretty nauseated for the past week (no vomiting but i get that watering on the sides of my mouth along with the nausea at times)and my heart rate feels elevated/beating harder despite my heart rate in the 80's, normal sinus. i dont know if they are related s/s but somehow they feel linked. i am not pregnant, i dont have any significant medical history (no high b/p, diabetic etc). i am a little overweight- i'm 5'11 1/2'' and 215 pounds. i'm scared and i dont have health insurance to get it checked out . please help with any opinions! thank you-melissa
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 28 minutes later

It is true that swollen uvula can be caused by snoring which results in the obstruction of air flow while inhaling and exhaling leading to swollen uvula.

However dehydration caused by the habit of sleeping with the mouth open or obstructive sleep apnea can also cause these symptoms. To completely rule out these possibilities you need to get a sleep study done from a sleep specialist.

Obstructive sleep apnea can cause loss of oxygen and the constant struggle to breathe increases sleep apnea patient's risk of high blood pressure, stroke and other heart-related ailments.

Secondly from the additional symptoms of increased salivation and nausea, acid reflux is an important possibility. Try the following lifestyle measures:

1)     Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.
2)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.
3)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.
4)     Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor.
5)     Also do some warm saline gargles as sometimes viral infections can also cause swollen uvula.

If the symptoms persist then consult a sleep specialist and get sleep study to rule out any snoring and obstructive sleep apnea done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.