How is swollen ear lobe treated ?

ENT Specialist
I slept on my right side last night. When I awoke my earlobe was swollen and it looks like its filled with blood. There's red bruise like spots at the bottom of my earlobe. Is this a serious problem?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Dear Darkfox12,

Thank you for your query.

1. This is not a serious problem. However, if the swelling and bruise spreads further or if the pain increases, it will be better to have your right earlobe examined for any signs of infection. To be on the safe side, try and get someone to check the skin behind your ear.

2. If you have an ear piercing, then this swelling and bruise may be related to it. If not, other possibilities are insect bites or bruising and scraping / scratching related to accidentally sleeping on your right ear for a prolonged period at night.

3. A simple inflammation may subside on it's own, or you may apply ice and take an over the counter painkiller (after food, never on an empty stomach).

4. I am assuming that you do not have any middle ear infection. Sometimes it is just a furuncle or boil in the skin. If there are clear vesicles in the rash, you must visit an ENT Specialist to rule out Herpes Zoster.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.