How is spine pain and back pain treated ?

hello ,good morning doctor.i am working in pork meat cutting factory in spain .fromthe last four or five months i am feeling acute pain in the left leg and lower back also .but from a week i cannot stand and walk. doctor recommend me shows disk problem moderate in l3 and l4.llast week i took 7 injection of declofenico de 3 mg.i got relief 2 days .now i feel acute pain the leg which startsfrompelvis upto foot.i want to ask ,there is any solution for this except operation.if yes ,then consult me as early as possible....
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later

I have read your query and also gone through the MRI scanned copies that you have sent across.

Aches starting from the hip and radiating down the leg is due to a problem with the back (spine).

The most common cause is a disc prolapse. The ache radiates down to your calf if the protruding disc is compressing the nerves supplying your leg.

A step wise approach is usually considered in treating the pain and surgery is the last resort in this step wise approach.

It is good that the pain gets relieved on taking pain killers. This indicates that you can take a conservative treatment and surgery is not immediately needed.

For better and longer relief, you can add a good muscle relaxant like Thiocolchicoside to the pain killers that you are currently taking( diclofenac), after consulting with your orthopaedician.

If you are able to do your daily work with the help of pain killers and muscle relaxants then you can avoid the surgery for some time.

Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions.

Epidural steroid injections have been used if oral pain killers are not very effective and surgical treatment is not considered. Discuss with your orthopedician and an appropriate treatment can be planned depending on the response to medical drugs.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures:

- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.

- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.

- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.

- Avoid lifting heavy objects.

- back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.

- avoid exercises in times of pain.

- improvise your posture while sitting.

Hope I have solved your query. If not, I will be available for further follow up.

Wish you good health.