Ask a Dentist   »  

How is soft tissue injury treated ?

I dropped a wheelborrow on my foot (top of foot near ankle or slightly lower toward midfoot) and I was only wearing sandles. No brusing but I couldn't walk on it for about a day. The next day I used crutches and I tried to walk and could but only putting about 60 percent of my weight on my foot. Today I can walk but just gently but over the past two days my foot has been cold, slightly numb, and some swelling, nothing major it just looks like I have a fat foot. My foot moves in all directions without pain but seems to not want to lift up to pull my toes and foot toward me. I was thinking the cold feeling and numbness was from not using it but since I have been moving it it still seems that way. My foot would look completly normal to the average eye but I see a slight bit of swelling and bruising in about an inch sized area. The wheelborrow hit me in a straight, narrow line that left an indent; not a smash. When touching the top of foot there is minimal pain. I don't have insurance since I graduated college (kind of ironic) so any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later

I must appreciate the detailed description that you have provided. From the symptoms it looks like cold compresses on your foot by wrapping ice in a towel and take some Tylenol available over the counter at all the pharmacies.

You can also apply flexall or crepe bandage to the area.You can also follow certain lifestyle measures which can help you with this injury. These include:

1) Give complete rest to the affected part.
2) Avoid bearing weight on the limb(standing, walking, etc.)
3) You may use a walker to avoid putting a direct pressure on the limb.
4) Take the pain killers round the clock even if there is no pain as they will help reduce the inflammation.

Your symptoms are likely to subside in 3-4 days and complete recovery is expected in 2 weeks time.
If there is no relief and the symptoms like pain aggravate then investigations like X-Ray and MRI are entailed. In case of problem I encourage you to consult an orthopaedician who can guide you through the tests.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
Follow-up: How is soft tissue injury treated ? 47 hours later
Thank you Doctor. That that information has been very helpful and I have been doing as you suggested. My follow up question is if you opinion remains the same after I mention the following: My arch seems sore, I feel a pain in it spontanously (odd since I hit the top of my foot and it didn't smash it) Maybe this is becuase I the tip toeing or funny walking I did on it the second day. It still has some swelling and discoloration. Although I can push my foot forward and backward without pain, it doesn't have full movement - I can only pull my foot toward myself about an inch.

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you :)
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
I had a few discussion with an orthopaedician. He agrees with my advice too and has given a similar opinion. So do not worry. It still seems to be a soft tissue injury only and not a fracture. Continue with the treatment advised earlier.
Wishing you an early recovery.