How is skin mottling treated ?

Today while at the ball field with my son, I began having skin mottling in my upper legs (thighs). It started faint, but became very intense and distinct. It was red in color. The areas were very, very warm to touch and had some faint itching. I have some skin mottling in my arms when I'm very cold. The areas on my legs eventually faded after I took a tepid shower, however they are still "stinging/burning" and I have a headache. What could be causing this and what should I do?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 46 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will try to give you some good information and recommendations.

There are a couple of possible causes of the skin mottling which includes an allergic response, an inflammatory response or possibly a vascular issue.

If you were exposed to any grasses or leaves it could have triggered the skin changes which you saw.

If you have some underlying inflammatory or autoimmune process going on it could have triggered something like this. I recommend you bring this to the attention of your primary care doctor who might consider doing some lab testing in addition to a complete physical exam.

A less likely cause would be a blood clot or phlebitis (inflammation of a vessel). The fact that symptoms improved quickly is what goes against this.

I thank you again for the query and hope my answer is both helpful and informative for you. Should you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga