How is skin blushing while exposed to the sun treated in children ?

ENT Specialist
My 19 month old's face turns bright red when out in the heat, even if it is only for five minute or so. It goes away once he is in a cooler environment. Is this cause for concern?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

Blushing of the face is a common phenomenon and it is more so in those with fair complexion than darker or black, as the afflux of blood is not noticed in the latter.

The facial skin has got XXXXXXX blood supply and whenever an individual is exposed to warm or hot climate the muscles as well as the blood vessels will relax, this causes pooling of the blood in the peripheries and more so on the face.

Blushing of the face is always transient and hormonal dependant, if it persistent then it is definitely a matter of concern.

The blushing faced by your child is normal as the child's skin is supple and the blood circulation will be more compared to that of the adults and blushing relieved on returning back to the cooler environment.

So this is very much normal, it would be better to wait and watch. It will reduce as the child gets older. If this problem persists then you will have to consult your pediatrician to look for any hormonal or skin problems.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for your follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.