How is sinusitis treated ?

dear doctor, iam suffering from ethmoid sinus problem sinse 12 years, i will have a bad effect once i consume curd or cold water. and tablets such as sinus77 or cold antibiotics doesnt help, even i have consulted physisians but dint help, pls help me to cure,

Jaganath S R

email id# YYYY@YYYY
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 26 minutes later
Hi Jag,

Thanks for posting your query

Sinusitis is caused due to stagnation of the mucous in the sinuses along with superadded infections. Most commonly cause due to nasal polyps, allergy, deviated nasal septum etc. The most common medications for treating it are antibiotics, antihistamines, decongestants, steroids etc. First of all you need to find out the cause of sinusitis in your case. Some people get relief from antiallergic medications which have to be given at regular intervals.

Since the medications are not helping at all possibility is there that there might be an anatomical defect as Deviated nasal symptom or a Polyp. If that is the case it would be better to get examined by ENT specialist and if required corrective surgery might be opted.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
1)Irrigate the nose daily with saline drops thrice a day.
2)Drink lots of water and fluids.
3)Take steam inhalation when nose congestion is present.
4)Consume Vitamin C XXXXXXX diet like Lime juice, oranges or citrus fruits.

Hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.