How is sebaceous cyst or folliculitis treated ?

I have a hard lump about two inches above rt ankle.....had leg xrayed yesterday and nothing on bone. It felt bruised at first but now really nothing. it just appeared a week ago. I run two to three miles a day but i do smoke and am under alot of stress. could this be a blood clot ? very hard lump and im concerened.when i point my foot down it seems to get smaller but when i point it up it gets bigger.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Thanks for your query,

According to the description you have provided about the lump i could think of two possibilities

1)Sebaceous cyst : it is a lump that forms in the epidermis, the outermost layer of the skin. Sebaceous cysts are common, noncancerous, and are generally not a serious condition.Since these exist in outer skin contraction of the muscles under the lump make it prominent.This can explain why it becomes prominent on pointing the leg up.

2)Hematoma ( blood clot ) Most of time this is preceded by an injury, either a hit or even a needle prick.

I could be more specific in diagnosis if you can provide me with some more information like

1)The shape of the lesion ?

2)Is there any pain or tenderness associated with the lump ?

3)Are there any change in the skin over the lump?

4)Is it growing in size over time ?

It would be more helpful if you can send me a picture of the same to YYYY@YYYY with sub : Attn Dr Raju

Will wait for the information.
Follow-up: How is sebaceous cyst or folliculitis treated ? 1 hour later
the shape is a round (like a quarter) small lump that pertrudes out of the skin a little.(2 inches above rt anke. when i first got the lump it felt like a bruise or spider bite (kinda hurt to run that morning) and its very hard. ive done nothing to bruise it. If i sit here and rub it i would say its tender and it almost feels like it radiates pain up my leg if i mess with it. It has not grown and ive only had it since monday but it hasnt went down either. i had the bone xrayed yesterdayand its nothing on the bone. my biggest concern is blood clot. its the weekend here where i live so there is only er rooms open. my skin is the same color on the lump. i say its about two inches above rt ankle coming off just a bit to the front (Toward toes) off that bone that runs from your ankle up.......thanks
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for the information,

I do not consider it to be blood clot.Based on the information you gave me i could think of a infected sebaceous cyst or folliculitis.Both of which have to be examined so that you could be put on appropriate antibiotics.I would advice you to consult your nearest doctor for the same.

Wish you good health,