How is sciatica and low RBC treated ?

I have serious sciatica. I also have a very low red blood count. My bone marrow test was inconclusive. I cannot walk up a flight of stairs. I have difficulty breathing. Can my sciatica be causing this breathing problem. Also, I was a serious cocaine user years ago. Can this be causing my problems
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 15 minutes later

It appears that you have two different problem
1. Sciatica
2. Low RBC Counts - Anemia

Your difficulty in breathing is most likely associated with low RBC counts and is nothing to do with sciatica.

I suggest you to consult a physician for detailed evaluation to find out the cause of your anemia. The basic tests such as Complete Blood Counts with RBC Indices, Retic Count, Peripheral Smear, Vitamin B12, Folate Levels and Serum Iron Studies are entailed. The tests wil help identify the most common causes of anemia.

Bone Marrow can be normal in anemia due to nutritional defeciency and therefore is not the initial investigation.

Cocaine can cause increase in blood pressure as well as cardiac problems. I also suggest an echocardiogram to evaluate the heart function.

Hope this answers your query. Do get back if you need any further information

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran