How is rapid heart rate treated ?

ENT Specialist
(5'10", 270lbs)
While at office yesterday afternoon, had following new symptoms:
Rapid heart rate (>100), sharp pain in shoulders and lower neck, shoulders feeling hot, arms flush red, forehead flush red. Lasted about 30 min. Breathing okay (other than nasal congestion). No chest pain. A little anxious, not knowing what to do.
Have not had similar episode in last 20 hours.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 55 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

There are many possibilities of the attack you encountered, let me discuss about this.

1.IT may be an attack of Myocardial infarction,
2.or an episode of PSVT or an attack of ventricular ectopics.
3.or it may be a simple panic attack mimicking to MI.
4.or it may be an attack of hypertension.

What you will have to do now---

2- get a ECG done on urgent basis.
3- Serum electrolytes( there might be a possibility of hypomagnicemia-that may lead to the precipitation of PSVT attack.)
4- STOP taking any sort of fatty diet.
5- continue your walking.

After reading your history, most probably your diagnosis would be an attack of hypertension secondary to an anxiety thought. Points in favor are flushing, no chest pain, nasal congestion etc.

But, i strongly recommend you to consult a cardiologist soon, and try to avoid taking anxiety thoughts.

Dont worry you will be alright.

Hope this will help you., and i will be ready for future follow ups.

Follow-up: How is rapid heart rate treated ? 1 hour later
I have been dealing with the Premature Ventricular Contractions problem for years and we finally found a mix of Toprol and high magnesium that greatly reduces the events. I was not feeling the characteristic skip and strong beat of the PVC during the above episode.

Based on my past experiences, I would rule out (2) and (3) in the answer above, because the episode did not follow my usual pattern of PVC "storms" or panic attacks.

Something did come to mind. Just a few minutes before the episode I finished eating a couple chocolate malt balls. I rarely eat them, but they were on sale in the office cafeteria that day. This is the only thing different in my diet. Is it possible this was a reaction to the malt or filling in the chocolate malt balls?

The only other thing different that afternoon was I took a sniff of my Vicks Inhaler (levmetamfetamine) within an hour before the episode because of the nasal congestion.
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 20 minutes later
Hi again,

Both vicks and chocolate intake cant be responsible for such symptoms, As far as vicks inhalation is concerned it decreases the congestion.

Secondly chocolate is CNS stimulant and that too very mild, it has no effect over heart.

In my opinion, get an ECG done, it will reveal even a past MI attack attack ( if any), though chances are rare.

I am looking forward for any followup query from your side.