How is pregnancy detected ?

Question
it is not confirmed i am pregnant or not my age is 21 years . i am worried of getting pregnant now period delayed by 48 days had intercourse 4 days back . i am not ready to take a child plz assist me. what to do now ....
took ipill today but no sign of any problem in vagina......... everything seems normal but fear pregnancy
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

I pill is a post coital pill to prevent pregnancy and it is not effective if pregnancy has occurred. Nor is it used for abortion. Since you have missed your periods since 48 days, hence possibility of pregnancy cannot be ignored, especially if there was any unprotected intercourse close to ovulation.

You can do a urine for pregnancy test after 1 week of missing your periods or get a serum HCG test done which is more specific than a urine test. If these tests come positive then you may need medical termination of pregnancy if you do not want pregnancy.

methotrexate,mesoprostol and mifiprestone) is effective if pregnancy is less than seven weeks (49 days). Anytime past seven weeks requires surgical abortion by dilatation and curettage (D+C).

So consult a gynecologist and get these tests done to check the status of your pregnancy.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: How is pregnancy detected ? 7 hours later
generally my period is delayed over two months can this also be possible ... if consulting gynecologist how to tell them about this problem without having to tell them to check about pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back to me.

I have seen the period table that you have attached along with your query.

If your last period was on 7th XXXXXXX did you have any unprotected intercourse close to 20th XXXXXXX on which your ovulation could have fallen?

Secondly if you have got delayed periods earlier also ( by 2 months sometimes) then it could have been due to delayed periods due to causes other than pregnancy.

These include stress and anxiety, malnutrition, depression, overexercising, sudden weight loss or gain (obesity),thyroid disorders and hormonal imbalance due to polycystic ovarian syndrome(PCOS).

Sometimes tumors of the ovaries and brain may also cause absence of menstruation.

What you can do now is to buy a home based urine for pregnancy test kit which is available over the counter and do a urine for pregnancy test. By now the urine for pregnancy test would have come positive.

If it comes negative, then you can get a serum or blood pregnancy test done at a lab. It will clarify the status of pregnancy.

If pregnancy is ruled out then you can consult your gynecologist and get investigated for these medical conditions.

Blood tests may be ordered to examine the levels of ovarian, pituitary, and thyroid hormones.

Imaging studies, such as ultrasound, X-ray, and CT or MRI scanning may also be recommended in certain individuals to help establish the cause of amenorrhea.

Follow-up: How is pregnancy detected ? 6 hours later
today i went to the gynecologist and was suggested urine as well as hcn test for pregnancy all the tests proved negative what does this mean ............

doctor gave pills for early menstruation as early as possible .. for 3 days
does this show any conditions for pregnancy .

Hello XXXXXXX

Good to hear from you again.

If the HCG test for pregnancy has come out negative, then it rules out pregnancy. In pregnancy, the growing tissues of the new conception (early fetus) secrete a special hormone into your body called ‘human Chorionic Gonadotrophin’ (HCG).

This is a pregnancy hormone. So if it is not present or increasing, it rules out pregnancy.

Delayed periods in your case is not due to pregnancy but due to other causes which I have mentioned earlier. You need to get investigated for all these causes. In the meantime you can take the medicine prescribed by your doctor as they are hormones for menstruation.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards.

Follow-up: How is pregnancy detected ? 8 days later
when i went to gynacologist she suggested me metride for 5 days ......i have completed the dosage but i am still afraid of being pregnant since no periods till now .....hcn test was taken after 4 days after intercourse ...plz do answer

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 7 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

If the serum HCG test which was done by a gynecologist has come negative, it is unlikely that you are pregnant.

Metride contains metformin and glimipride which are basically used for the treatment of PCOS. PCOS is one of the commonest causes of irregular periods. It is a problem in which a woman’s hormones are out of balance.

So ovaries develop more follicles than normal every month.Diagnostic tests are 2 hr GTT (glucose tolerance test),serum androgen and testosterone levels,LH-FSH ratio,prolactin levels,TSH levels,17-hydroxyprogesterone levels and ultrasound uterus.

So get these tests done to rule out any PCOS which may be responsible for irregular periods and delayed periods in your case.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards.

Follow-up: How is pregnancy detected ? 18 hours later
does the urine test for detection of pregnancy can detect pregnancy just after 4 days of intercourse or not ....................and also what can be the primary symptoms for being pregnant ......................

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 17 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

The urine test for pregnancy does not test pregnancy just 4 days after intercourse. hCG can be detected in urine after implantation of zygote in the wall of the uterus formed by the union of the sperm & the ovum, which occurs six to twelve days after fertilization. The levels of HCG should be raised enough to be detected positive on urine test and this happens usually after 2 weeks of fertilization.

The early pregnancy symptoms include absent or delayed period for more than 10 days along with morning sickness, vomiting, frequent urination, feeling tired, tenderness of breasts, light-headedness, feeling dizzy, getting irritated, and increase sensitivity to smell.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards.