Ask a Dentist   »  

How is post traumatic cheeks swelling treated ?

General Surgeon
3 days ago I was hit in the face, my cheeks are still swollen, but I can open my mouth. My jaw is not broken but how do I know if its fractured, and what do I do to heal the swelling?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 5 hours later
Hello Karma,

Post traumatic cheeks swelling generally respond well to simple medicines,(it may take little time) provided there is no fracture.As you are able to open your mouth chances of fracture appear to be remote. X-Ray of facial skeleton can rule out fracture . Swelling can be treated with local ice or cold sponging and some common anti inflammatory medicines.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery.