How is post antibiotic diarrhea treated ?

I have had diarrhea for two weeks now after taking a 7 day prescription of Clindamycin 300 mg cap four times a day, that my Dentist prescribed to me. I have taken Immodium Ad for a couple of days and it does limit my symtoms somewhat but my stools are still loose. I do not have a fever and otherwise feel fine. Is there anything I can do to stop the diarrhea and return to normal?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 34 minutes later

You are having a post antibiotic diarrhea due to your altered intestinal flora as an effect of antibiotics.
To return your healthy intestinal flora back to normal, you need to take pre biotics and probiotics regularly for at least one week. These are spores of our normal intestinal flora which are available over the counter at all the pharmacies.

Adding yogurt to your diet will also help.

Other necessary measures are-
1. You can start by eating soft, bland food: toast, bananas, crackers, plain rice, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, baked chicken ~ no skin, etc.
2.Replace lost fluid and salts:Take broth, soup, fruit juices, soft fruits, or vegetables.
3.Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, etc.), Cold drinks - stick to warm tea or water as long as symptoms persist, Raw fruits and vegetables, fried & greasy food and fast food, spicy food, caffeine,etc.

If the symptoms are not relieved , medical treatment might be needed after proper examination.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: How is post antibiotic diarrhea treated ? 38 minutes later
Should I stop taking the Immodium AD?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 56 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

You can continue taking Immodium AD as long as the symptoms persist. It will only relieve the symptoms and does not help in correction of the intestinal flora.

It is always better to treat the cause rather than the symptoms.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: How is post antibiotic diarrhea treated ? 3 hours later
I went to the drug store and found some probiotics, but when I asked about "pre biotics" they didn't know what I was talking about. Can you please explain what if any differance there is between pre biotics and probiotics?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 29 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Prebiotics are non-digestible food ingredients that stimulate the growth and/or activity of bacteria in the digestive system.

These are soluble dietary fibres - 'oligosaccharides'. Usually the sachets of probiotics do contain prebiotics in them too for proper growth of the bacterial spores.

Hope this helps you further.

Wish you speedy recovery.