How is polyhydroamnios treated ?

I am 40 years old and pregnant with my second child. I have recently been diagnosed at 27+2 weeks with polyhydramnios with an AFI of 25.1. I failed my glucose screen but passed the Glucose Tolerance Test so I'm not diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. Since I failed the screen, is there a chance that I may have a "borderline" condition and that my polyhydramnios could be improved by watching my sugar intake? The periantalogist found no other structural causes or indications for the condition at the 27 weeks ultrasound. I don't have a history of polyhydramnios but I didn't have additional level II ultrasounds past midtrimester. My previous child was born at approximatly 8.5 lbs, 21 inches.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Follow-up: How is polyhydroamnios treated ? 7 minutes later
I forgot to mention that I had a first trimester combined screening result of 1/1661 for Trisomy 21 and 1/3101 for Trisomy 13/18. Level II ultrasound does not show any other markers.
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Polyhydroamnios is a medical condition describing an excess of amniotic fluid in the amniotic sac when the amniotic fluid index (AFI) is greater than 20 cm ( ≥ 20 cm). In your case it is 25.1.

It is true that about 14% of cases are due to maternal diabetes mellitus but in some cases, it can be due to fetal anomilies as well like gastrointestinal abnormalities such as esophageal atresia, duodenal atresia, facial cleft, chromosomal abnormalities such as Down's syndrome and Edwards syndrome etc.

Triple test confirms down’s syndrome and in your case the triple test is showing that you are at very low risk. Regarding EIF, the EIF is considered a normal variation in fetal development and has not been found to have any long term health problems or heart problems for the baby. For the other abnormalities, the ultrasound scan should have ruled it out.

However since you have failed the glucose screen, I suggest you to keep a strict eye on the glucose levels and try to keep a control on your blood sugar levels.

This can be done by spreading carbohydrate intake over meals, snacks throughout the day and doing some moderate exercises after consulting your gynecologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.