How is polycystic ovarian disease treated ?

Today I got my Ultra Sound Report; which says:
-Right Ovary = 15.09 CC
-Left Ovary = 32.6 CC.
-Left Ovary Contains a clear CYST measuring 2.5*2.3 cms.
-Both Ovary contain multiple small follicles.

Few Background:
I got married in 2007; since then I am trying to conceive. I got conceived in 2009 but after 1 Months it was missed abortion. my Period is Perfectly Regular. I am suffering from Hypothyrodism.I am 26 yrs and 53 Kg weight.

My Question:
-Am I suffering from POCS?
-Can I concieve?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 24 minutes later

The ultrasound report is suggestive of polycystic ovarian disease and that may be responsible for difficulty in conceiving. Morever hypothyroidism is also associated with difficulty in conceiving. Are you taking regular treatment for hypothyroidism and have you got your recent thyroid function tests done?

Chance of getting pregnant with polycystic ovarian syndrome using fertility treatments is very good.Regarding the treatment options for PCOS:

1)     First of all try to lose some weight as it helps to improve hormone imbalances.

2)     Then Clomiphene or Clomid can be used in the treatment of PCOS related infertility and is quite successful. Previously, the anti-diabetes medication metformin was recommended treatment for anovulation, but it appears less effective than clomiphene.

3)     One of the most effective treatments is use of contraceptive pills or progesterone pills which aids in regulating a woman’s hormones.

4)     For resistant cases, there area few options available including assisted reproductive technology procedures such as controlled ovarian hyperstimulation with follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) injections followed by in vitro fertilisation (IVF).

5)     Surgery including ovarian drilling can also be done but this is kept as last resort.

You can discuss the option of Clomiphene with your gynecologist which will help you in conceiving.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you a good health.