How is pinched nerve in the groin treated ?

About 7yr ago i suffered from a bulging disc in my spine . i spent 2 weeks in hospital then recurring back problem there after . i have 4monthly injection to help with the pain. At the said time of my hospitalisation I also suffered an undetected spell of shingles . This was localised to my left groin area of my lower tummy , i had the blisters in this area and the pain was not recognised at the time due to my back injury . Dur to this attack i suffered nerve damage from my groin down to my ankle . Apart from the numbness i dont suffer pain with it. Two weeks ago i was standing chatting when i fealt this really bad pain like what i would consider "a nerve ", then i couldnt walk . Icould not put pressure on that leg This pain was in the exact place my nerve was damaged with shingles . My walkin got better after a week but i still have the pinching feeling and pains in my groin . Could this be i flair up of the shingles even though i dont appear to have any blisters , but the heavy XXXXXXX feeling and pain are similar.
it is now several weeks later and i still get a pinched nerve feeling in my groin , so bad that it takes me off my feet . i am ok walking short steps in the house but anything more and it becomes unbearable .
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 19 minutes later

Regarding the pain in your groin, it is unlikely that it would represent a reactivation of the shingles in the absence of any skin rash. What I think is more likely is that there is some inflammation going on around the nerve which is giving you persistent symptoms.

As far as the inflammation that can happen in a "post-herpetic" or post-shingles state, there have been many medications which have been tested to help mitigate the symptoms. You might discuss these with your doctor. Some of the medications include gabapentin and Lyrica. These often help with pain as well as some of the numbness.

For now, I recommend you begin an aggressive regimen of anti-inflammatory over the counter medications. You have two choices for this. First choice is ibuprofen (200 mg OTC tabs) take 3 of these three times per day for 10 days. Take with food as it can upset the stomach. Second choice is naproxen OTC (220-250 mg) 2 tabs twice daily for 10 days. I think these medications may help reduce the likely inflammation which is going on and will facilitate a resolution of your symptoms.

Again, I thank you for your query. I hope you found my answer to be both helpful and informative. Should you have additional concerns, I am available to address them.

Dr. Galamaga.