How is paraosmia treated ?

ENT Specialist
Over the past six months I have noticed that occassionally (perhaps once every two weeks) someone will comment that they can smell faeces. It is never everybody in the group, just 1 or maybe 2 and although it isn't always the person next to me, based on the frequency I suspect it may be from me. I myself can never smell anything myself and the smell goes after a moment or two. I am hygenic. Any thoughts?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 42 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

There are two possibilities for this kind of presentation

1- Probably you are overconscious on this issue.

2- You have symptoms of paraosmia.

Now let me discuss about this condition, Paraosmia is a condition in which the person smells, , that is not real like your case. It is a neurogenic problem. related to over stimulation of the olfactory nerve.

Treatment consists of IGNORANCE, just dont think over this issue.

As far as medical management is concerned, you may take Tab methylcobalamine with gabapentine once a day, after consulting an ENT surgeon.

Dont be over conscious for this, be relaxed, every thing will be fine.

Hope, this will help you out, and I am ready for future follow ups (if any).

Follow-up: How is paraosmia treated ? 12 hours later

So if I understand there is no real physical reason (ie no underlying chronic condition etc) but more a nervous/perception condition.? In this case, the less I consider it the less likely it is to occur?
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 9 hours later
Hi Again,

yes, the chances of any underlying cause is extremely rare, even the parosmia is a very rare entity.

Try to deviate your mind when you feel such smell. Dont be tensed about this condition and believe me you will be alright.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health.