How is paraesophagael hernia treated ?

One year ago i had nissen fund surgery. I have recently had severe chest pain that actually radiates up into my face especially my left side...nose and eye. Each time that I feel as though I am going to burp the pain becomes sharper. In a recent er visit I was diagnosed with a paraesophageal hernia. I have had six abdominal surgeries in the past 5 years, all stemming from a bout with diverticulitis that abcessed. I do not have reflux any more just pressure and pain in most of my abdomen. I am a 58 yearold male.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 13 hours later

Pain in the chest with a normal cardiac workup can be secondary to reflux disease, esophageal spasm, pneumonia, pulmonary hypertension with pulmonary thromboembolism. Post Nissens sometimes it becomes difficult to burp and may cause pain. This is becsuse of the tight wrap.

The chronic abdominal pain could be seconary to intestinal adhesions secondary to surgery or a motility disorder. Some of these can be remedied if clearly defined, hence contact a GI for a detailed work up.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them

Follow-up: How is paraesophagael hernia treated ? 1 hour later
What should be done about the paraesophagael hernia?
Hi again,

Thanks for your follow up query.

Para oesophageal hernia needs surgical intervention if it is causing symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query.