How is pain due to ruptured L5-S1 disc treated ?

I am a 33 year old female. About 4 years ago my doc tested my XXXXXXX it came back positive with a titre of 1:1280. I have not been given a definite diagnosis yet. Last November, my back and right leg started hurting pretty bad. I went to the doc, she sent me to a chiropractor who recommended a MRI, they discovered I had a rupture L5-S1 disk. From there they sent me to a pain specialist. I seen him for 3-4 months. He recommended PT and a Medrol pack, when that didn't work he did a cortisone injection, when that didn't work he started me on Lyrica, and when that didn't work he sent me to a surgeon. When I saw the surgeon, he told me that surgery would do me more harm than good, so he sent me to a neurologist. The neurologist has put me on amitriptyline, which is not working and now referring me to another rheumotologist. I am also on Vicodin and Valium. I have had this pain for 8 months now and nothing is being done. I see the rheumatologist in a few weeks, but am wondering if all this pain could be caused by this undiagnosed autoimmune disease? And if so, why can't they do anything to help with the pain? It is affecting my family and social life and becoming very frustrating.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

The pain you are having is more likely to be from the ruptured L5-S1 disc rather than the autoimmune disease.

You have already tried pain killers, steroids and various other medications. Apparently surgical correction is not feasible in your case.

Perhaps physiotherapy, continued use of pain relieving medications along with alternative therapies such as accupunture may be helpful. Discuss about these options with the rheumatologist.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.