How is obsessive compulsive disorder of cleanliness treated ?

Dear docter i am 26 year old female..i am suffering from very peculer kind of problem..i am overhygenic i used to wash my hand number of times...all time i feel that i am not clean..every time its running in to my mind is not calm.i am not able to concentrate my mind in to my work..kindly tell me the reason and solution so that i can get rid f it. thank you
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hello Rumi,

The feeling of being dirty which makes you wash your hands too often seems to be due to obsessive- compulsive disorder.
It is a type of anxiety that happens when there is a problem with the way the brain deals with normal worrying and doubts. People with OCD usually worry a lot.

Cognitive and behavioral therapies show good response in such cases which you can have in consultation with your psychiatrist.
Meanwhile stay connected to your family and friends and practice relaxation techniques like meditation, yoga, XXXXXXX breathing, etc.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Follow-up: How is obsessive compulsive disorder of cleanliness treated ? 12 hours later
dear docter happy to get your response..could you please tell me the cause of this disorder and should i refer any psychiatrist for further treatment like cognitive or behaviral.....because i am not able to control myself to do this,it disturbs me a lot..n normally how much time it takes to recover..thank you for your assistance
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.
Anxiety is the main cause of symptoms will decrease.
Yes, a psychiatrist will help you in giving the behavioural and cognitive therapies.
The time taken to recover will depend on the severity of illness and the extent of improvement you show on getting the treatment. It varies from person to person. But usually it takes 4-6 months for a considerable effect to be seen.
Sincerely hope it will help.
Wishing you an early recovery.