How is nevus on the face removed ?

I have a nevus of ota on approx. 30 % fo my face. It is blueish/green. I wolud like to have it removed if possible. Would laser tretment be effective. I am a brown skin African American. I live in XXXXXXX NC.
Thank You.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on the history given, it seems that you have a nevus of the face.

You have provided with good information but I would like to know few more things as this would help me in suggesting you better.

Kindly do answer the following queries.

1. Is the nevi you have present since birth ?

2. If it was not present since birth, how long have you had it ?

3. Has it changed it's shape size, thickness etc over the time ?

4. Have you used any other treatment measures, before ?

Here is some information with respect to laser treatment for nevi.

Laser treatments can help lighten the nevi but they cannot completely remove them. The various types of lasers use a special wavelength of light to literally “burn” away the extra pigment to lighten the nevus. But Laser does not burn away the abnormal nevus cell hence since the abnormal cells are left behind, they can cause cancer, especially after they have been "riled up" by the burn.

The pigment also often reappears and the laser treatments must be repeated periodically. Laser burns can be moderately painful. Some people also get a red, blistered reaction like a real burn afterward. Pain medications are sometimes needed.

Before a specific advice can be given a visual appearance of the lesion will be very helpful.

I can help you more, if you can send me images of the nevus. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

I would like to provide you with specific suggestions after looking at the photo.

Awaiting your response.‎