How is muffling in the ears treated ?

Hi, I've had "muffled" ears x 2 mos now, saw ENT specialist 2 weeks ago (no sign of wax clogged), prescribed Flonase and Prednisone - 3 days later, my hearing cleared up with great relief for only about 5 days - that was a week ago. I did continue the medications w/o any signs of improvement and then decided to stop taking them yesterday. I then bought otc Benadryl for allergy last night and then had allergic rxn to it all night. Please tell me how can I get rid of this muffling. I even tried the salt water up my nose plus the humidifier and mucinex. I can't even blow my nose - nothing comes out. This could be due to such high humidity in the southeast (South Carolina). Please help! Thanks.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 40 minutes later

Thanks for the Query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:
1.) Did you travel in a Airplane recently?
2.) Do you have Allergies or recurrent Cold?
3.) Do you have any hearing dullness?

Your History suggests you have Plugged ears which happens if your Eustachian tube (Auditory Tube) is blocked. It is a tube that connects the pharynx to the middle ear.

There are various causes for this Blockage like:
1.) Altitude changes during the descent of airplane
2.) Allergies
3.) Cold

Kindly get yourself examined by a Otolaryngologist, so that he/she may examine you and prescribe treatment. Often, no treatment for this is required, but if it is related cold or allergies, you will require medications like
1.) Anti Histamines
2.) Oral decongestants
3.) Nasal sprays
4.) Topical nasal steroids
5.) Ventilation tubes, to drain fluid and relieve pressure if there is any.

You can try come Simple Maneuvers at home:
1.) You can start Chewing gum or any act of drinking or eating which promotes swallowing which would help open up the tube
2.) Regular Yawning also helps
3.) Try taking a XXXXXXX breath and blowing while pinching your nostrils while your Mouth is closed, you should feel a Pop after this
4.) Avoid swimming and traveling by Airplane until your symptoms subside
5.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your Query, I Will be available to answer your Follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.