How is migraine and GERD treated ?

hi i am a 28 years old female with migraine, GERD, TMJ, and yesterdayfor the 1st time i felt a pin prick feel on the middle of my right side of the back, this morning for the 1st time i felt the same pin prick behind my left eye.. for the past 2 weeks ive had pounding temporal pain and occiptal pain, 8 months ago i found out i have TMJ, for the past 3 years ive had GERD and Migraine for 8 yrs now. my migraines are bad enough now this pain really makes me diable. for the past month ive had real bad back pain where i cant even cook properly without feeling the pain on my back.. need help
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 25 minutes later
Hi there,

You have provided us with some good information. But I would like to know a few more information to help me answer your query much better.
1. What medication are you one,for the migraine?
2. Do you have any associated symptoms like XXXXXXX light flashes,vision problems and nausea etc?
3. Are you on any medication?
4. Do you have any other medical problems?

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: How is migraine and GERD treated ? 2 hours later
i dont take any medicine for migraine; i tried taking sumatryptan once and i felt sick for the whole week.. occasionally i take excedrin migraine but very very rarely do i take medicine- i jst wait it out.. i do hav XXXXXXX flashes of light, vision problems and occasional feeling of nausea, but most of all i hav the vision problem where it feels like images in front of me r missing. i dont take any medication other than iron tablet and vitamins. apart from migraine, GERD, TMJ, back problem i might possibly have vaginismus. in February of 2011 i pulled my back muscle and was put on muscle relaxant.. wat do u think this is?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 19 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

The symptoms that you have described,namely temporal and occipital pain,headache XXXXXXX vision problems,pin pricks behind your eyes etc are very consistent with the migraine history that you have given.
Your symptoms are getting out of control.The need to specific medications is urgent.The other point is that migraines usually have a trigger factor,and that factor needs to be identified and avoided.You need specific treatment like triptans,ergots,midrin etc.You should see a neurologist as soon as possible.I realise that you are worried about the side effects,but those usually arent serious and can be controlled by meds.Avoid bright lights,avoid going hungry,excercise daily,adopt relaxation techniques.

The other problems like GERD,TMJ etc are unrelated to this.

Follow-up: How is migraine and GERD treated ? 52 minutes later
but what about the pin prick on my back? is that also because of migraine?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 24 minutes later
Hi again,

No,I dont consider it to be due to migraine.It could be due to the GERD,however,depending on the severity of the condition.If this happens repeatedly,i would advise a check up and a ultrasound.Use a muscle relaxant and see if there is any change.If not,you should get an ultrasound and get examined.