How is melasma treated ?

I am 39 yrs old, male working for a company in Bangalore. I don't have any bad habits like smoking, alcohol etc.
For the past few months, there are some black patches (in comparison to the other part of the face) on my face especially on cheeks, on nose and below eyes. Since I am working in an air conditioned environment through out the day, I would be exposed to sunlight only few hours (max. of 1 hour) in the morning while traveling to office by two wheeler. I don't have any other medical problems and do not take any medications.
What are the underlying causes for this skin disease?
what are the remedies for this?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

From the symptoms and the specific sites where you are having these symptoms, melasma is an important possibility. It is due to overproduction of melanin by the pigment cells, melanocytes and although it is more commonly found in females, males may also get effected and the usually affected areas are forehead, cheeks and nose. Sun exposure even if it is for a short time in your case can be responsible for these symptoms.

To treat these dark patches, apply a good sunscreen with minimum spf 30 atleast half an hour before going out in the sun. Use a mild cleanser and if the skin is dry, a light moisturizer. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables especially cabbage, spinach, and other leafy XXXXXXX vegetables and take a daily vitamin supplement. You should also apply almond oil or skin creams containing vit C or K, alpha hydroxyl acids and kojic acid on the dark patches.

However if the symptoms are severe then topical bleaching agents, chemical peels and laser therapy may be needed. These are available only under prescription and hence a dermatologist should be consulted for these treatment options.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: How is melasma treated ? 55 minutes later
Thank you Doctor for you valuable advice.
May I have know the specific mild cleanser, moisturizer, daily vitamin supplement, so that I can take it from pharma.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

You can use any mild soap or cleanser like dove or cetaphil; good moisturizer like Cetaphil or Clinique and Capsules Becosules or A to Z after consulting your doctor. They should be taken only under prescription.