How is lower back pain treated ?

I have the following symptoms 1) Pain in my right knee area, remains when lying down, also the area just above my knee seems to muscle spasm for around 2-10 seconds fairly frequently. 2) Lower back pain which I have had for 3 weeks on and off. Pain is located just above my bottom area and seems more like a dull pain with occasional twinges on the sides, it sometimes hurts in my higher back behind my chest and I have a feeling of numbness or similar to the right of my back under my shoulder blade, the pain does not change when lying down 3) Periodic muscle spasms in different areas of my body, not painful but alarming. 4) Last couple of days random pains in my stomach just under my chest area at the top of my stomach or on the sides. The back pain hurts more in the bottom area when i push my spine in towards my groin. No problems eating, no sickness, no problems with my bowel movements. I am around 2 stone overweight and aged 32 in general OK health.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 1 hour later

You seem to have multiple site pains. Let me go through your symptoms one by one.

1. Knee Pain with muscle spasm. There are multiple causes of pain. At your age, its likely related to ligaments and tendons in and around the knee joint. Hope you haven't had any injury to your knee during sport or recreation ? Usually such pains subside after a few weeks. If its persisting beyond, you will need further evaluation and MRI scan.

2. Your low back pain is likely related to strain. This can involve muscles and some times the ligaments. Disc disease can also lead to such pain. As of now, consider taking analgesics and do hot foementation for 4 - 5 days. Again you will need a check up if your pain persists

3. Most of the muscle spasms are usually benign. They can occur due to multiple causes. If frequent, you will need to get yourself evaluated for calcium, Vitamin D and potassium deficiency.

4. Again the stomach pains are likely non specific. Unless such pains are persistent or associated with worsening severity, it will not require any investigation.

Be reassured.
Do regular exercise.
Do hot foementation over knee and low back.
Avoid lifting heavy weights/bending
Avoid long drives.
Avoid sports which can cause strain on the knee

Wait for a weeks time.
If they persist, do consult your physician for further evaluation.

Please get back if you need any further information.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: How is lower back pain treated ? 1 hour later
I was concerned the stomach pains may relate to an aeortic anurism, is this something to consider along with the other symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 6 minutes later

Well there are a number of causes for Stomach Pain.
Aortic Aneurysm can be one of them.

However, its too uncommon at your age group. Also such patients have long standing Hypertension. It does not present with pain in stomch. Infact it identifid incidentally most of the times on abdominal imaging.

Please be reassured. Some times we get concerned and attribute symptoms to grave disease.

If you still want to rule out, get a Ultrasound scan done and it will show up if its there.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran