How is low body temperature and cold feet treated in children ?

My daughter is 1 year old. She is getting suddenly low body temperature sometimes in the evening or night times(her palm and feet becomes very cold but body is normal. no pale colour observed, no shivering). At that time her body temperature is 95 C when measured. After 10/15 minutes the body temperature comes to normal. Also at that time it looks like she is sweating. Our child specalist suggested to do urine culture. The urine culture report came out normal. Everything else is fine, weight, height, diet, etc.
1.So what could be the cause for this low body tempertaure sometimes.
2.What other diagnoses or tests can be done to findout the cause for this temperaure variation. Please suggest me some options to findout the cause and solution for this. Thanks.

Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 3 hours later
Mr Loganathan,

Following is the explanation for your query.

1.So what could be the cause for this low body temperature sometimes.
===Feeling of low body temperature in hands and feet is common in younger kids, due to their large surface area with respect to weight causing heat loss. Hands and feet cold doesn't mean low body temperature as body temperature is XXXXXXX function maintained by various hormones and metabolic functions. So body temperature is not low unless her central or core or mouth or rectal temperature is falling. If the child isn't sick and is playful active and interactive, such temperature readings don't mean much, except in cases of hypothyroidism, congenital cyanotic heart diseases, loose motions, where it may point to specific problem. Intermittent warmth and coolness of hands and feet can be due to immature autonomic phenomena which is likely in first 2 years of life.

2.What other diagnoses or tests can be done to find out the cause for this temperature variation. Please suggest me some options to find out the cause and solution for this.
=== If the problem doesn't persist consistently, it isn't a problem at all. If according to you as it comes to normal in 15 to 20 minutes, i wont advice any investigations unless any other ailment exists in the child as mentioned above.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: How is low body temperature and cold feet treated in children ? 20 hours later
Thanks for the reply.
1. How do find the central or core or mouth or rectal temperature. When we measured in the thermometer, it was 95 C. What is the normal range.
2. What is the symptom of hypothyroidism, congenital cyanotic.
3. One observation is - Her body is normally cool compared to me or my wife's body temperature.
4.Should we observe anything specific, for better understanding of this low body temperature
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 6 hours later
Hi Loganathan,

Here are the explanations for your issues:

1. I think answer to your query is best left with the doctors, but for your curiosity you may visit the following link.
WWW.WWWW.WW rectal temperature is measured by rectal thermometer and requires experience.
Any mouth temperature between 36.1 and 37.5 °C (96.9 and 99.5 °F) is likely to be normal.

2. Again, these are complex medical issues and symptoms differ as per age. Hypothyroidism at this age may have associated delay in milestones and intellect. Congenital cyanotic is the term used for some defects of heart that present since birth with less oxygen in blood.

3. Subjective feeling of cool and warm is affected by many factors, so cant be relied on unless its very cold or very warm.

4. Proper method of recording body temperature is very important, most issues are due to faulty recording. read here : WWW.WWWW.WW
Hope I have answered you completely,Feel free to reply back if any doubts.

Dr.Santosh Kondekar